Murnos with Mountain Bikes

Murnos with Mountain Bikes

Jonathan

Here's a new topic, following from a previous post. Which munros are best tackled with a mountain bike...

Jonathan

Glen Finnan. Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm are at the end of a long easy tarmac road. I walked it, and it was pretty annoying - knowing that the 1 hour walk out would have been a 10 minute roll with hardly a pedal stroke...

Jonathan

Another good weekend trip is cycling from the A9 up to the bothie near Ben Alder - again, the bike saves hours, and is mainly good landrover track - but with an interesting very narrow and wobbly foot bridge if i remember correctly...

I did the Ben Alder trip with bike - well recommended - my dog got a good run that weekend. Note I didn\'t bother taking my bike over the bridge as there was no point, it\'s really close to the bothy anyhow - if that\'s the wobbly bridge mentioned.

Jonathan

yeah true, I remember now. Your right, probably best to leave your bike by the bridge. I just took it over because i just wanted to see how far I could get it!

Jonathan

Mount Keen. Excuse the pun, but if you\'re really keen, fit and are doing this a mountain bike challenge, you can almost ride to the top of this mountain. I got to within a few hundred meters of the summit, but it was too windy to bother struggling any further. It\'s a rough ride, but the decent is pretty good fun!

Jessica Johnstone

Carn a\' Chlamain has a 5 mile path in to the base worth cycling to save time- I believe you can also cycle to almost the summit but having not cycled in 20 odd years we left our bikes at the bottom!

jim aitken

A good cycle in via White Bridge to do An Sgorsoch and Carn an Fhidhler saves a lot of walking. I used a very ordinary (Tesco) mountain bike to good effect from Linn of Dee.

jim aitken

A good cycle in via White Bridge to do An Sgorsoch and Carn an Fhidhler saves a lot of walking. I used a very ordinary (Tesco) mountain bike to good effect from Linn of Dee.

Peter Sloan

Sounds good to me, have been looking at doing some cycling to Munro\'s and seems i\'ve got a couple to get started on thanks..

Beinn Mhanach from Auch (south of Bridge of Orchy): There\'s an 8k track which crosses the river several times but wasn\'t deep when I did it on 1 May 2010. I walked it, took 1.5hrs but I reckon would have been under half the time by bike as the track is good and flat.

James

A bike is a great way of cutting out the "long walk in" if you're that way inclined. Best 5 I've done are: 1. Seanna Braigh from Oykel Bridge; 2. Ruadh Stac Mor and A'Mhaighdean from Poolewe; 3. Bidean a'Choire Sheargaich and Lurg Mhor from Attadale (probably the only sensible way to do these hills); 4. Sgor Gaoith and Mullach Chlach a Bhlair from Glen Feshie (I've gotten a bike literally to the top of these two without having a heart attack); and, 5. Beinn Bhuidhe from Cairndow.

Though I haven't done them I would have thought that a bike is the best way to do: A. Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan and An Socach in Glen Affric; B. Pretty much any of the hills up Glen Derry, Glen Dee or Glen Ey near Braemar; and, C. Beinn Dearg above Blair Atholl.

My experience of biking is that: you sometimes have to push up some hills but gravity pays you back on the way down; it's good to have a puncture repair kit or spare inner tube and a pump that fits (!); and, a bike is especially useful in winter when the days are shorter and you need to get to the foot of the hill quickly.

Chris

James your no 2 ride in namely Ruadh Stac Mor and A'Mhaaighdean from Poolewe is that the track that goes over the causeway?

Please log in to post a response.