Another Munro to go?

Another Munro to go?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14458122

quote:
"Mountain near Ullapool could lose Munro status
Scotland looks set to have one fewer Munro - mountains over 914.4m high - following new measurements made of summits near Ullapool in the Highlands.
The Munro Society has recorded Beinn a'Chlaidheimh at 913.96m. The Ordnance Survey (OS) had measured it at 916m.
The Scottish Mountaineering Club, which publishes tables of Scotland's Munros and smaller mountains called Corbetts, has been notified.
The club will decide whether to reduce Scotland's 283 Munros to 282.
Beinn a'Chlaidheimh is part of a series of Munros called the Fisherfield Six."

Gary

So is there any news on this particular mountain yet. Is it kicked out or potentially still on the 'List'

Hi,

not sure - there is a long aritcle here
http://outdoors.caledonianmercury.com/2011/08/16/done-deal-or-open-to-doubt-still-no-clarity-on-beinn-a%E2%80%99chlaidheimh/002413

it seems the SMC will update their when the OS update their maps...

"Recent Survey of Beinn a’Chlaideimh (Fisherfield),” it begins. “The Scottish Mountaineering Club has been notified of the recent survey results produced by the Munro Society which indicate that this Munro (OS Sheet 19; NH 061 775, M280) may be at the marginal height of 913.96m. If confirmed, this would place it some 44cm under the necessary height for a Munro. Accordingly, and bearing in mind the marginality of these measurements, the SMC has undertaken to consider the implications for Munros and Corbetts Tables when the Ordnance Survey update their maps of the area.

“We need hardly add that anyone who walks the mountains and hills of Scotland out of a love for their ambience, will continue to appreciate this fine mountain, whether it be classified as a Munro or a Corbett. For the moment at least, Beinn a’Chlaideimh remains in Munro’s Tables."

Gary

Thanks for your reply,
I think I will want to do it anyway as I will also have the Corbetts to complete.
These lists are a great way to celebrate the high areas of Scotland,its just a bit of a trog up on the road from the English Midlands each time.

Please log in to post a response.