The Map

The Map

Peter John Wood

Today I have (successfully) signed in to the new website for the purpose of adding 2 peaks climbed yesterday.
I cannot see the map at all.
My Munro stats are there - the summary is correct.
The peaks on the Munro list are all red, however. - should be green for the ones I have climbed.
Am I alone in experiencing this?
Peter Wood

Jonathan

Peter,

it's probably a browser issue specific to your computer.

can you let me know what your browser/version/ and operating system are
you can find this by going to detectmybrowser.com

cheers

jon

Peter John Wood

Jon,

I am using IE8 and Windows XP SP3.

Peter

seems to be an IE8 thing... I'll look into as soon as I get a chance...

Jonathan

fixed a javascript bug in IE9 - will test and check in older versions of IE next week....

Peter John Wood

I thought IE9 was still a Beta Vrsion? That's why I haven't installed it yet.
Peter

Jonathan

currently got a small issue loading XML lists (eg, mountains, logs etc) - where if i do one thing, firefox/chrome/safari all work but IE doesn't and if I make IE work, the others break.

I'm currently working on this... trying to find an alternate way of doing this...

Jonathan

progress - seems to work in IE now, however, I had to turn off some of the facebook connect stuff. i'll try and get than back soon.

Peter John Wood

I can now see the map.
However, when I log in all the map symbols are red (same to in the List).
Yet my Munro summary has the correct number of climbed peaks.
When I try to zoom in on the map it freezes and the red symbols disappear altogether.
Peter

Jonathan

Hi,

So, the page first loads all the map points, and then it loads your logs - and colours in the icons/highlights the rows on the list. It looks like in your case it's loading the icons, but it's not loading the logs...

I've tested in ie6 and ie7. It may be that you have to clear the cache in internet explorer - try pressing CTRL and F5, or going to the preferences and clearing your browsing history. IE has a habbit of storing old files...

not sure why the map would be crashing when zooming. I'll do some research...

Peter John Wood

I have cleared my IE cache with no improvement.
The map loads initially and the icons (all red, even when logged on) are there. First zoom-in works OK and the icons still appear. second zoom-in clears the icons and the map freezes at the previous level.
When I first reported my problems I was in Scotland (walking) and using a netbook. Now I am back home and working on a (fast) desktop with no improvement.
You also have had emails from Chris Massey who was with me in Scotland on his own netbook. He was not experiencing my problems, but could not save a 'new' mountain. He was using IE8 with Windows 7. He is now home on a desktop with IE8 and W7.
Best Regards - Peter

Peter John Wood

Still having exactly the same problems.
Peter

Jonathan

Hi there
I think I have the 'not saving' and some other issues working in IE now.

If you are still having problems when zooming in - please could you try this:

open the internet explorer options, go to advanced tab, and then untick ''disable script debugging (internet explorer) and tick "display a notification about every script error"

explorer will then open a window with any errors it finds. If you could then let me know what the errors say, it should help me find out where the problem is.

thanks for the patience with this one!

(the problem with IE not saving was due to a <p> in the html code being in slightly the wrong place... it seems javascript is very picky and tiny details run differently in diferent browsers and operating systems )

Peter John Wood

Jon,
In the meantime I have been able to access your site using Firefox and have successfully updated my mountains.
I cannot upgrade to IE9 because I am using Windows XP (which does not support IE9).
If you don't think that it's a waste of your time I am happy to work with you to clean up your IE8 issues.
Today I signed in to read your latest post. I still have no green icons on the map or the list. However the quantity on the Stats page is inclusive of my recent additions. I still cannot zoom in on the map more than once (at which point the icons disappear and the page freezes.
I switched off the debugging option, re-entered your website and immediately got the following error-
Line 158 Error: Invalid argument.
I could not proceed any further as the screen froze and I could not minimise the editor to proceed further on the website.
Hope this helps a little
Peter

Phil Whiting

I am having same problem. I haven't accessed the site for a while, but now when I do, all the munros come up red. I don't want to start all over again!

Hi Digby

- first thing - if you go to the list - is that showing your asecents? or if you choose 'my munro stats' from the munros dropdown menu, is that correct?

Jon

Phil Whiting

Hi Jon.

Thanks.

My munro stats are showing correct. Munros map is all red still however, whereas it used to show the ones I'd done in green.

Gary

Hi Jon,
I really do want to thank you for setting up this Munro Map website for us all to use.
I do look forward to uploading my mountains following each trip.
The reflection and sense of achievement afterwards is nearly as good for me as the actual anticipation of getting out in the fresh air and then completeing the daily walking tasks.
I hope the project goes well for you so this facility may continue.

Jonathan

Hi Gholtby - thanks for the comments...
:-)

Please log in to post a response.