First Munros

First Munros

Jonathan

What was your first munro?

Cairngorm - not a bad hill.

Ben Lomond-Third attempt (Eventually completed due to bad weather).

Broad Cairn - Lock Muick.
Was hooked after doing this hill.

Ben Lomond- cycled in from Balfron, up and down in 2hrs and cycled back (I was fitter then!).

Buachaille Etive Mor.. maybe not the best hill to start on due to the final steep section at top of Coire na Tulaich but what a buzz.. hooked on hillwalking ever since.

Jim

Beinn Alligin :p

flan

Ben Ime - Sunny Day - Didn't know what a Munro was then!

Climbed Ben Lawers on Sunday, from Visitors Centre, so actually bagged Beinn Ghlas too in the same day. Lovely sunny day but very windy at the top. Did it with my husband and our 2 dogs. Didn't realise it was the 10th highest Munro!!

Cairn Aosda

Buachaille Etive Mor(Stob Dearg)....a hungover saturday morning wearing trainers with a can of export in my pocket.approaching the 200 mark now

Ben Narnain with the Cobbler on a cloud free March day

My first was Schiehallion (many years ago), done in trainers, bought good pair of boots after once I knew I enjoyed hillwalking. Am now repeating alot of earlier Munros as my son got hooked in 2002, his first being Meall Chuaich (didn\'t use bikes but this one bikeable!) 108 bagged to date (of which 41 bagged this summer alone - goal is 50).

Craig Brackenridge

Ben Vorlich (@ Lochearnhead) for me, in May 1991.<br />
<br />
Carn Aosda was my missus\' first, a nice high start and only 45 minutes walk to the summit!

Lochnagar, was a few years ago now but was great. Tried again in jan 09 with my cousin but managed to get lost because of the snow!

Jessica Johnstone

Bein Ime , with my Dad who chose it as an easy one to start with- weather said otherwise and shame there were no views but it still got me hooked!

Andrew Ellis

Lochnagar. And then I carried on round the horseshoe, so I got my 1st 5 in one go. I had new boots. And sore feet!

Cairn Aosda and the Cairnwell, not sure which idid firstas i did them at the same time.

Peter Sloan

Stob A\'Choire O Dhair + Stob Ghabhar, Started walking at 2am first top at sunrise with some amazing cloud movement, thats what got me hooked.

If ski lifts and gonolas count - then Anoch Mhor - skiing... but maybe that's a cheat - i haven't read the official rule book!

otherwise, it would have to be Ben Lomond.

Carol

Our first Munro was Ben More on Island Mull

andrew

I think my first munro was Ben Nevis. I was 16 or 17 and my dad and I took the train from Ed-Gla-Fort William. What a lovely way to travel. We camped at the glen nevis campsite. I remember reading somewhere that the hike up the Ben could take 4 hours and to allow 2 1/2 - 3 for the return trip. We set off in fine weather, looking forward to some great views from the summit. We must have been quite fit back then as, in no time we were up at the small loch about half way up. Sadly from this point on we were engulfed in misty rain and saw absolutely nothing but rocky false summits all the way to the top. It had taken us only 2 1/2 hrs. I still have a photo (it's a paper one) of me standing next to the trig point, drenched to the bone. We were surprised to see quite a few other people wandering about up there. When we arrived back at the tent I was happy to see that we had made it down in around an hour and a half.
A few years later my brother and I did the same walk and were unlucky enough to have exactly the same weather conditions. So I have still to experience the view from the top of Scotland.

Mark

Hey Finbar,

Sorry to hear it took you three attempts, i started bagging Munros today and climbed Ben Lomond with my best mate Ronnie, we got caught in a freak blizzard about 130 metres from the summit, it was pretty harsh being battered by hail stones and snow, we decided to crack on and made it to the summit about 40 minutes later, it was pretty hard going due to deep snow. When we reached the top it was worth the hard work we put in as we were truly blessed with the surrounding views, which gave us the opportunity to take some amazing photos.

All the best with the rest of your bagging.

Yoda

Raibeart

Ben Nevis was my first Munro, which I climbed 43 years ago on 21st June,1969.

Stephen

I think it was Ben Lomond about 20 years ago. I can't remember if it was before or after my first West Highland Way...

Keith

Ben Chonzie, on second attempt (bad weather first time). Would have been a boring first climb, were it not for the fact that we took a wrong turn and ended up trudging through waist-high snow banks for the duration of the ascent. Good stuff!

Bob

Ben Nevis was my first, as part of a 3 Peaks in 24 hrs event. In July, thick mist on the summit with about 6 inches of snow! I would love to do it again on a clear day.

Please log in to post a response.