Tents: Superlight or just flimsy

Tents: Superlight or just flimsy

Jonathan

Hi folks, i've been looking tents again. The terranova quasar superlight for example. It's half the weight of the standard quasar. But will it stand up, will that material last? It all seems too good to be true, and they certainly haven't stopped selling the original.<br />
<br />
I'm wondering if their standard voyager tent (non superlight version) would acutally be stronger that the superlight quasar... they're both pretty similar weight, but the voyager is good bit cheaper!

Brian

I've got a Karrimor XLite 2-person, which weighs about 1.5kg. It cost about £70 3 years ago. It's very similar in design and materials to a ProAction 1-person (ca 1.2kg) that I bought from Argos for £29 about 6 years ago. Presumably made in China, probably by the same factory.

Both tents have two skins and two poles. Both have performed very well in the Alps, standing up to high winds and day-long torrential rain without problems. I have great confidence in them.

If I spent £300 I could presumably get a super-light tent that weighs .7kg less -- but that saving of weight isn't worth that money to me and I can't see that the performance would be better.

Jonathan

After posting the first comment, I decided to go with a terranova voyager - and it's been pretty good - no regrets. For some reason it doesn't seem the most waterproof of tents, when i compare to other tents around i notices others are beading while this is soaking in water... but it's strong, and wind proof and pretty light at 2kg

Recently I also bought one of these - http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16865&category_id=282

at around 1kg it's very light, and cheap, however, like they say, it has some downsides. the biggest one i've noticed is that it's essentially a summer tent, but it's not got any mesh (all solid material) and so it gets very warm inside. i'm planning on cutting a lot of inside out, and replacing with mesh

Please log in to post a response.