Two night camping trip to bag some Munros travelling from Glasgow

Two night camping trip to bag some Munros travelling from Glasgow

Richard

Some friends and I are planning to fly up from the south of england to Glasgow on a Thursday night to hire a minibus and travel north into the mountains to bag some Munros in mid-July.

We're all quite good walkers, well equipped and experienced but not very familiar with Scotland.

We're planning three days walking and thinking of wild-camping or staying in a bothy on Friday and Saturday night.

We don't want to spend too much time driving so I was initially looking at the area around Crianlarich as it's probably the closest to Glasgow with a significant number of Munros.

Are there any fun and not too hardcore two or three day Munro-bagging trips accessible from Glasgow? It strikes me that it's probably quite a common thing to do and there may be some classic trips which are quite standard and fun. We don't have to worry about avoiding mountains we've already done because the only Munro I've done in recent years is Ben Lomond and I didn't see anything at the top!

I'm sure some of you experienced mountaineers can help us have a great weekend!

Richard

Marta

I don't know how much is the minibus hire, but you can get to Crianlarich from Glasgow by train, 25,50 return, or bus (under 20 quid return citylink). Similar to Tyndrum, next village along A82. Once you're in Crianlarich, you can do at least 3 good long days munro bagging with no driving involved:
An Casteal and Beinn a Chroin
Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean
Ben More and Stob Binnein
That's 6 munros in 3 days.
There are a few more munros close by, Beinn Challum, Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil towards N/NE and Beinn Dubhcraig, Ben Oss, Ben Lui and Beinn a Chleibh NW.
There is a youth hostel in Crianlarich, nearest campsite probably Auchtertyre and then Tyndrum, but you can always wildcamp anywhere (it's Scotland, wildcamping is perfectly legal as long as you're reasonable about it). There are no bothies in the area.
Oh, and Harvey map Southern Highlands is recommended, as it has all the area well covered.

I hope it helps. There is still snow on N/E facing slopes above 800m or so, it may be gone soon but you never know. It's Scotland, so be ready for anything weatherwise. And ankle-deep water everywhere ;-)

Steve

Richard consider going to Glencoe, I promise you it is worth the drive. You could park up in the ski centre car park and dine there at the few hotels/inn's a short drive away. It is a 2 hour drive for you but some of the best walking in the UK here, have a look on any online OS. You could do your 2 a day i.e. Creise (was there 10 days ago, great scrambling) and Meal a'Buridh and the next two along and the next two or even the great Bidean nam Bean.

I was up at the Ben Lawyers group on Sunday and done Meal Corranaich and Meall Coire a Leith. There are 8 in the Ben Lawers group, very little snow now. It is just north of Loch Tay and 2 hrs from Glasgow nroth east.

If you don't want to travel far stay around Loch Lomond and you can do Ben Vane and Vorlich in a day, Ben Ime and Nanairn (and the Cobbler a great corbett) in a day and then Ben Lomond on its own on your last as it is very easy.

Good luck and enjoy.

Steve

Please log in to post a response.